Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

Our History

2013

  • Michigan Bariatric Institute (MBI) expands to St. Joseph Mercy Brighton
  • St. Mary Mercy earns the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™ 2013 from HealthGrades
  • The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® as an Advanced Primary Stroke Center recognizes St. Mary Mercy with recertification
  • Livonia Chamber of Commerce honors St. Mary Mercy with 2013 Community Enhancement Award

2012

  • American Red Cross awards St. Mary Mercy as top Trinity Health facility donating the highest number of units collected from its blood drives.
  • The Michigan Bariatric Institute (MBI) expands to St. Joseph Mercy Port Huron
  • St. Mary Mercy earns the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence™, America's 50 Best Hospitals Award™, and Emergency Medicine Excellence Award™ from HealthGrades
  • St. Mary Mercy receives an 'A' grade from The Leapfrog Group's Hospital Safety Score
  • The American Heart Association awards the Advanced Primary Stroke Center with the Get With the Guidelines® Stroke Silver Performance Achievement Award (2011)
  • The Birthing Center earns the Trinity Health Perinatal Patient Safety Initiative (PPSI) Excellence Award
  • New 154,000-square-foot South Wing opens including a new Emergency Center

2011

  • Construction begins for the 154,000-square-foot South Pavilion featuring an Emergency Center and all-private medical/surgical inpatient rooms. A beam raising ceremony is held on August 3.

2010

  • In July, the first Graduate Medical Education program resident physicians begin and St. Mary Mercy opens Michigan’s first Senior ER.

2009

  • St. Mary Mercy becomes a teaching hospital; partners with University of Toledo to create and expand medical residency programs
  • St. Mary Mercy named one of nation's 100 Top Hospitals for third straight year by Thomson Reuters
  • Michigan Bariatric Institute at St. Mary Mercy expands to St. Joseph Mercy Oakland
  • St. Mary Mercy awarded three-year accreditation in Mammography by the American College of Radiology (ACR)
  • Hospital celebrates 50 years with 5K run/walk for Cancer, Community Open House and 17th Annual Gala

2008

  • The Noninvasive Cardiovascular (NICV) space is opened on January 15.
  • St. Mary Mercy Hospital was named a 100 Top Hospital for 2007 by Thomson Healthcare.
  • February 1 - St. Mary Mercy Hospital merged with Saint Joseph Mercy Health System joining St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, St. Joseph Mercy Livingston and St. Joseph Mercy Saline. The newly created Regional System is a member of Trinity Health.
  • New Open Bore MRI added to diagnostic services
  • Diagnostic capabilities enhanced with new digital mammography system
  • Wound care center acquires hyperbaric oxygen chambers, healing wounds faster
  • SMMH earns 2007 Governor's Award for Improving Patient Safety and Quality of Care in the Hospital Setting

2007

  • In January, St. Mary Mercy Hospital received the HealthGrades 2007 Clinical Excellence Award for the third straight year.
  • St. Mary Mercy also received the Patient Safety Award from HealthGrades for the fourth straight year.
  • The new Joint Replacement Center opened in February.
  • On March 9, St. Mary Mercy was named one of the Top 100 Hospitals by Solucient for 2006.
  • The Heart and Vascular Center opened for business in February.
  • St. Mary Mercy Hospital became a tobacco-free campus on July 7.
  • The Sleep Disorders Center was granted accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM).
  • Uniform Data System for Medical Rehabilitation awarded Inpatient Rehabilitation with the 2007 Top Performer Award in October.
  • The Blessing and Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony of the new Cancer Center on September 20, and unveiled the new name, Our Lady of Hope Cancer Center, the Hearts of Livonia Healing Center, and the Helen Palmer Image Recovery Center.

2006

  • St. Mary Mercy received specialty awards from HealthGrades in the areas of gastrointestinal diseases, pulmonary care, stroke treatment and orthopedics.
  • In February we received, for the second straight year, the HealthGrades 2006 Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence.
  • St. Mary Mercy launched Genesis and the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) March 3rd.
  • The Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit, surveyed on March 16, received its Medicare Certification and has been approved to accept additional patients starting in July.
  • Sunday, June 4, St. Mary Mercy broke ground for the new cancer center.
  • 100 Top Hospital® by Solucient Award

2005

  • St. Mary Mercy Hospital celebrates its fifth year as part of Trinity Health with a Community Open House. The hospital is one of the fastest growing hospitals in Southeastern Michigan, and recognized by HealthGrades for Clinical Excellence and Patient Safety.
  • Preparation for implementation of the Electronic Medical Record begins, with go-live taking place in March 2006.

2000

  • (May) The Sisters of Mercy Regional Community of Detroit and the Congregation of the Holy Cross consolidated their health ministries, Mercy Health Services and Holy Cross Health System, to form a new system called Trinity Health.
  • (June) Trinity Health acquired the business operations of the newly named St. Mary Mercy Hospital. Trinity Health is the third largest Catholic health system in the U.S.

1999
The Sisters of Mercy signed a Letter of Intent to acquire the business operations of St. Mary Hospital, while the Felician Sisters retained ownership of the property and buildings.

1998
The Felician Sisters entered discussions with the Sisters of Mercy, Detroit Regional Community, for an agreement between St. Mary Hospital and Mercy Health Services.

1997
St. Mary Hospital marked its fifth major expansion with the West Addition, a new wing of the hospital housing the Miracle of Life Birthing Center, Marian Women's Center, Surgery Center and Central Processing.

1996
New facility for the St. Mary Hospital Child Care Center opened.

1995
The New St. Mary Hospital Emergency Center was added, doubling the size of the former emergency area.

1992
St. Mary Hospital affiliated with William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak from 1992 to 1998.

1991
Marywood Nursing Care Center and Marybrook Manor, sponsored by St. Mary Hospital, was built for those needing 24-hour assisted living and nursing care.

1989
St. Mary Hospital Child Care Center was established on the first floor of the Marian Professional Building.

1988
The St. Mary Hospital Pavilion and Marian Professional Building are added to St. Mary Hospital, providing a new Special Care Unit, Emergency Room and 100,000 sq. ft. physician office building.

1971
St. Mary Hospital expanded to the current capacity of 304 beds, and renovated Administration, Radiology, Pharmacy, Surgery, Rehabilitation and Maternity.

1965
St. Mary Hospital increased to 212 beds, and expanded services in the Emergency, Dietary, Auditorium and Cafeteria.

1959
St. Mary Hospital opened its doors to Livonia and the surrounding community with 170 beds, 99 physicians and 300 employees.

1952
After a request by city leaders in Livonia, Michigan to establish a local hospital, plans began for St. Mary Hospital.

1936
Felician Sisters purchased 320 acres of farmland in Livonia, Michigan, to build the Motherhouse and Chapel.

1882
The Sisters transferred from Polonia to Detroit and established the first American Province, the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

1855
Mary Angela Truszkowska, foundress of the Felician Sisters, consecrated herself to do the will of God and "respond to the needs of the times."

A Member of Trinity Health
© 2014 Trinity Health

St. Mary Mercy Livonia | 36475 Five Mile, Livonia, Michigan 48154 | 734-655-4800