Thank you for your interest in volunteering with SJMHS. We are excited you have chosen us for a possible volunteer placement. Our organization values volunteer service and strives to provide a rewarding and challenging experience to those who volunteer. Through volunteering you can make a difference in the lives of others as well as your own. As a volunteer you learn new things about yourself and the world around you, make new friends and expand your skills.
Below, you will find information on how our process works and what steps you will need to complete to become an SJMHS adult volunteer. If you have any questions or concerns while completing the process please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you again for your interest in volunteering with SJMHS!
Complete and submit the online application.
- Reference Letters
Download and print two copies of our reference form, and have 2 non-relatives complete the form. Fax or mail the completed forms prior to your interview.
Mail: Darlene Wilson, Volunteer Services
5301 E. Huron River Drive
P.O. Box 995
Ann Arbor, MI 48106
Contact Volunteer Services to set up a 30-minute interview. You can call 734-712-4164 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please make sure you have already submitted the online application and two reference letters.
- Background Check
A criminal history/background check is conducted on all volunteers. This will be completed after your interview, at no expense to you.
- Health Screening
If you are accepted into the adult volunteer program, the bulleted list below must be completed. All immunization shots are at no expense to you and can be administered here, except the Tdap injection, which will need to be administered through your physician's office or Health Department.
- Test negative for 2 TB skin tests (If positive, volunteer must provide a clear chest x-ray report, free of charge)
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two doses of Varicella vaccine, lab test showing immunity, or provide history of having had Chickenpox.
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two (2) doses of Measles, Mumps, Rubeola (MMR) or evidence of immunity (positive antibody titer) from lab testing.
- Provide record of Tdap (Tetanus, Diptheria, Acellular Pertussis) vaccine. (The Tdap vaccine is required for anyone (regardless of age) working in a clinical setting.)
- TB, MMR vaccine may be received through your physician's office or free of charge at our Employee Health Services.
- Provide record of receiving this year's influenza vaccine. If you haven't received this year's flu shot, you will be required to get one free of charge at our Employee Health Services.
- Return your Health Clearance form to the Volunteer Department after health screenings has been completed.
Congratulations! Once you have been accepted into the volunteer program, you will receive a volunteer orientation packet. Please read through this packet and complete the take home volunteer orientation test. Documents that need to be returned to the volunteer office prior to starting your volunteer experience at SJMHS are:
- Volunteer Orientation Quiz
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Respect Privacy Post-Test
- Signed HIPAA Policy and Procedure Training Form