St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor developed the NICU Family Advisory Board in 2004 to provide an extra level of support to parents and families of critically ill babies being cared for in the NICU. The Family Advisory Board is made up of patients whose babies graduated from the NICU and who use their experience to help create and offer educational and support programs. Having “been through it,” this unique team of parents is able to work with NICU staff to provide a variety of vital programs. With the added support from the Family Advisory Board, the NICU is able to better offer parents hope and strength when they need it most.
Volunteers and supporters like you can make a difference in the lives and experiences of our NICU babies and their families. If you are interested in volunteering for any of these activities, please call or email: Christine Gardner / 734-604-1714 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're interested in joining the Family Advisory Board, please fill out an application online.
See a list of our current members and a list of our upcoming events.
Complete and submit the Family Advisory Board online application.(This should be linked here)
- Reference Letters (2 required)
Click link to access reference forms. These should be completed by 2 non-relatives.
- FAB Interview/Orientation to be completed by the FAB Chairperson
- Background Check
A criminal history/background check is conducted on all volunteers. This will be completed after your interview, at no expense to you.
- Health Screening
If you are accepted into the FAB volunteer program, the bulleted list below must be completed. TB test and Flu shot are at no expense to you and can be administered here, except the Tdap injection, which will need to be administered through your physician's office or Health Department.
- Test negative for 2 TB skin tests (If positive, volunteer must provide a clear chest x-ray report, free of charge)
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two doses of Varicella vaccine, lab test showing immunity, or provide history of having had Chickenpox.
- Provide immunization record or other document showing receipt of two (2) doses of Measles, Mumps, Rubeola (MMR) or evidence of immunity (positive antibody titer) from lab testing.
- Provide record of Tdap (Tetanus, Diptheria, Acellular Pertussis) vaccine.(The Tdap vaccine is required for anyone (regardless of age) working in a clinical setting.)
- TB, MMR vaccine may be received through your physician's office or free of charge at our EmployeeHealth Services.
- Provide record of receiving this year's influenza vaccine. If you haven't received this year's flu shot, you will be required to get one free of charge at our Employee Health Services.
- Return your Health Clearance form to the Volunteer Department after health screenings has been completed.
Congratulations! Once you have been accepted into the Family Advisory Board, the FAB Chairperson will contact you and set up time to meet with you for your orientation. At that time you will receive a volunteer orientation packet. Please read through this packet and complete the take home volunteer orientation test. The following documents will be reviewed with you by the FAB Chair:
You can consider getting involved in any of these activities:
Family Advisory Board (FAB)
FAB provides input on unit policies, the environment and services that impact our families.
The Parent-to-Parent Program offers current NICU parents the support they need from trained graduate NICU parents.
Educate & Create
Combining education and creativity this once a month series is provided for parents on the unit. A Neonatologist provides parent education while parents enjoy lunch and create a keepsake.
NICU Annual Reunion
The NICU Reunion is a time for NICU graduates and their families to reconnect with each other and staff over food and a day of fun activities. The 2015 NICU reunion is on Saturday, June 6, 2015. Look for your invitation to arrive in late Spring.
Once a month current NICU parents are invited to relax and enjoy a pizza dinner with a few FAB members . This informal gathering allows NICU parents a much-needed break and provides FAB members a chance to offer informational support.
Our main fundraising event, Fashionable Growth - Something to be Thankful For, is the NICU's annual fashion show and silent auction. Join us for fashion, food and fun, cheer on our NICU grads and their families, as well as our doctors and nurses as they transform themselves into "top models" to raise funds for NICU programs and events.