The Clinical Pastoral Education Center of Saint Joseph Mercy Health System (SJMHS) is pleased to offer a variety of Clinical Pastoral Education programs in a dynamic learning environment at our hospital and regional health system. We are accredited by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. (ACPE). For more information about ACPE, please visit: www.acpe.edu.
CPE is theological education, facilitated by adult learning theory for the professional development of pastoral ministers. We understand CPE to be "process learning." We emphasize CPE as experiential learning that occurs in a progression of steps in which you, as a student, may repeatedly encounter similar learning issues over time, but with increasing insight or self-understanding. Our residency emphasizes the learning and practice of professional chaplaincy skills, formation, and pastoral specialization. Our teaching methods includes conducting a variety of seminars and practicums designed to facilitate reflection on your ministry experience, leading to the integration of a new understanding based on that reflection. We support each unit with didactic presentations, written assignments, and clinical ministry opportunities.
Our CPE program is conducted within the context of the Pastoral Care Department and our Catholic sponsored health system. Our clinically trained staff chaplains serve as mentors to our CPE interns. Together, we provide thoughtful and compassionate spiritual care that respects the religious and cultural traditions of the patients, families, visitors, and staff whom we serve in ministry.
Saint Joseph Mercy Health System offers combined programs of Level I and Level II CPE.
Meet Our Team
- Fall Semester, 16 weeks, from late August to mid-December (25 hours/week)
- Spring Semester, 16 weeks, from early February to late-May (25 hours/week)
- Summer Intensive, 11 weeks, from early June to mid-August (37 hours/week)
- Fall, Spring, and Summer, 1 year, from September – August (40hours/week)
- $25 application fee (non-refundable, must accompany your application)
- $100 acceptance fee (applies toward tuition)
- Internship: $775 tuition for each CPE unit
- Residency: $400 tuition for each CPE unit (Residency includes 3 CPE units)
- Four days of orientation in the first two weeks of the program
- Mentoring system utilized primarily with staff chaplains
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital Oakland
St. Mary Mercy Hospital Livonia
- Free parking
- Meals provided during clinical shifts
- No person will be denied acceptance on the basis of race, gender, age, faith group, national origin, or sexual orientation.
Statement of Confidentiality and Student Rights
(This annual notice is published in accordance with ACPE Standard 304.4):
- This ACPE CPE center/program guarantees to its students the rights to inspect and review education records, to seek to amend them, to specified control over release of record information, and to file a complaint against the program for alleged violations of these Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights.
- A student has the right to object to record content. If not negotiable, the written objection will be kept with and released with the record. Letter grades are exempted from this right.
- Violations of these protocols may be reported to the Chair of the Accreditation Commission at: ACPE; One West Court Square, Suite 325, Decatur, GA 30030
Professional Certification or Membership, Seminary Degrees, and Ordinations
- Credits for completed units of CPE may be applied towards requirements for seminary degrees and ordinations, as well as membership and/or certification in the following professional organizations:
- American Association of Pastoral Counselors
- Association for Professional Chaplains
- Association for Clinical Pastoral Education
- National Association of Catholic Chaplains
- National Association of Jewish Chaplains