Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)

Terry - Prostate Cancer

TerryTerry and Jim (see Jim’s testimonial) work together in the financial industry. Terry has been taking Lipitor for years, so he follows up with his primary care doctor regularly to ensure his PSA levels are within range. In the fall of 2007 his level had jumped, so his doctor recommended he have an ultrasound and needle biopsy.

“I didn’t mind the ultrasound, but the rest of it I wasn’t too happy about.” When his results came back they confirmed Terry had prostate cancer, so his doctor referred him to a urologist.

Terry and his Urologist discussed several treatment options, including hormone therapy, radiation therapy, different types of surgery, and CyberKnife. This was a big decision and Terry needed time to consider all of his options.

A few weeks later, Jim stopped by Terry’s office and told his colleagues that he had just come from his third CyberKnife treatment for prostate cancer at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. “I went golfing after I got done with Monday’s treatment and I didn’t feel anything.” Jim explained. They talked about Jim’s experience for almost an hour. “Terry, I’m not telling you what to do, but I’d do it again in a heart beat.” Thanks to his co-worker and friend Jim, Terry learned that he did have more options in his fight against cancer.

The next step was for Terry to see Dr. George Henning, a radiation oncologist at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital. His CyberKnife treatments began in early 2008 and lasted five consecutive days. A couple treatments lasted about two and a half hours, and the others were even shorter.

“You just lay there. That was the hardest part. After not moving for that long, you feel stiff, but as far as pain, you don’t feel anything,” Terry recalled. “They played music – they had all kinds of music…they played all of the Michigan fight songs.” The next day, he requested that the staff not play the U of M songs. Terry said, “Please don’t do that, this is hard for me not to be tapping my foot!”

Each day after the treatments, Terry went to work. He returned for tests in April 2008 and said that the results were good.

“I always thought; when I get done with this treatment, I’m going to be done with the whole thing. And I still feel that way.”

A Member of Trinity Health
© 2015 Trinity Health

St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor | 5301 McAuley Drive, Ypsilanti, MI 48197 | 734-712-3456